Saturday, June 16, 2012

Vipassana

 My room. Just cleaned.
 Outside the meditation hall.
Folks, I have just returned from my 10 day silent Vipassana meditation course. It was awesome. When I use this word "awesome" when speaking of New Zealand I need to clarify that I am using the 19th century definition. In awe. I had sort of known what I was in for from my friend who had just completed it, but if I had really known I may not have gone. I am so happy I did though. The schedule ran from 4 am to 9pm. About 11 hrs of meditation but I'll be honest and say I slept in till breakfast at 6:30 and took the meditate on your own from 1-2:30 as 'lie in my bed and watch the clouds pass by my window' time. But I needed that time because whoever thinks meditating is easy is crazy. Days 1-3 we focused on our breath. Day 4 is when Vipassana started, observing sensations both good and bad while not becoming attached to them. Sensations will change, as everything will. Becoming attached causing craving which causes misery. and the point of this style is to stop misery to become equanimous and peaceful. But for real most of it was pain, misery. Days 4-7= misery. I thought I couldn't go on. We were told not to expect a moment of light or nirvana to occur. but on day 8 instead of misery I found Happiness and I became incredibly attached. I was done with pain. Day 9- calm. day 10- we are allowed to talk! who knew talking was so precious? though I had never spoken to these people before I felt close to them from sharing energy for the past week and a half. And it was all for free. Donations accepted. The food was incredible! Possibly the best ever. I'm lucky to have found this and will continue to go every year. It was hard but I have never felt more happiness and peace.

No comments: